Collier to the rescue, high five for Greening

Somerville Eagles’ midfield dynamo Matt Swanson. Photo: Krystal Gray.

By Craig MacKenzie

Marcus Collier and Dave Greening were the stars of the weekend’s FFA Cup clashes involving Frankston and peninsula sides.

Collier’s hat-trick rescued Skye United and powered its 5-3 come-from- behind FFA Cup win on  Saturday against Elwood City.

The match was held at Doveton’s Waratah Reserve and Skye was forced into extra time to settle the issue against its lower league opponent.

Elwood midfielder Adam Roby headed over following a Sammy Hehir corner in the 3rd minute and two minutes later it was Skye’s turn to fashion a near miss when Mo Elhassan couldn’t get a touch to Eddie Bourke’s far post cross from the right.

In the 7th minute Elwood’s Stephen Boffa headed onto the top of the crossbar and over and it was becoming clear that the depleted Skye line-up faced a real challenge.

However Elwood keeper Roddy Beccara had an afternoon he’d rather forget looking decidedly shaky in the air and he dropped a Billy Painting free kick in the 10th minute but Skye’s livewire attacking midfielder Wumjuck John Jang had his close range shot blocked.

Daniel Attard put Skye ahead in the 22nd minute when he ran onto a through ball and slotted it past advancing Beccara but by half-time Elwood had come roaring back to lead 2-1.

A Hehir free kick had levelled the scores after 37 minutes and a John Andrinopoulos own goal just before the break saw Skye trudge off the pitch ruing its profligacy up front.

Early in the second half Scott Vile’s cross from the left was greeted with a superb low diving header from Anthony Moran at the near post to make it 3-1 and Skye had a mountain to climb.

Hehir, Moran, Roby and Tom Myles were Elwood’s most influential players while Collier was becoming more involved and Jang remained a constant threat with his penchant for running at opponents.

A quick free kick in the 65th minute sent Painting into the area and his far post cross saw Attard sliding down but failing to get what surely would have been a decisive touch.

Skye boss Billy Armour had replaced Bourke with David Cori in the 51st minute and in the 67th minute Nick Theodore was replaced by Liam Attard whose long throw-ins were a constant challenge for Elwood.

Endeavour United recruit Jason Nowakowksi gave Skye some hope by converting a 73rd minute penalty and a stunning Collier volley in the final minute of normal time gave Armour’s men a lifeline.

In the 2nd minute of extra time Khor Gatluak headed over following a corner and Elhassan shot over late in the half after Elwood failed to clear a Liam Attard throw-in.

Collier notched his hat-trick two minutes into the second half of extra time when he struck a low long-range shot that eluded Beccara and went inside the far post to make it 4-3.

A superb solo run by Jang in the 20th minute of extra time saw his shot parried by Beccara then Collier put Nowakowksi through five minutes later but his fierce shot cannoned off the bar and was cleared.

In the final minute of the extended period Gatluak nutmegged Vile then cut the ball back to Collier who skinned an opponent then cheekily stroked the ball past Beccara to complete the scoreline.

Rosebud Heart travelled to Ballarat on Sunday and thumped local side Victoria Park 7-0 in their FFA Cup clash.

Goal machine Greening scored five with singles to Simon O’Donnell and Cory Osorio.

The pick of Greening’s haul was a superb team goal started by keeper Sean Skelly who rolled the ball wide and a neat one-two released Callum Richardson who sent Osorio through and his cross was converted by Greening with a diving header.

State 4 South outfit Baxter bowed out of the FFA Cup with a 3-1 home loss to State 3 North-West opponent Fawkner on Saturday.

Baxter’s goal came when big Mark Pags broke through and lobbed the Fawkner keeper in the 40th minute after having a goal controversially disallowed earlier in the half.

Fawkner’s goals came from Ray Rusca (24th minute), Josh D’Alessi (28th) and Saso Grozdanoski (68th).

Somerville Eagles is out of the FFA Cup after losing 2-1 to Latrobe Valley side Falcons 2000 at Monterey Reserve on Sunday.

The Gippsland visitor had already knocked out North Ballarat and Rowville in qualifying for the first round proper and created the better chances in the first half but could not break the deadlock.Falcons’ best chance came in the 38th minute after a defensive blunder by Somerville substitute Chris Hales who had replaced the injured Dalton Thomas-Staines in the 30th minute.

Hales was robbed by Falcons’ overlapping left back Kevin Carcellar who cut the ball back to Jamie Pistrin to roll into the path of Nick D’Alessandro who blasted his shot over the bar from close range.

The stand-off was broken three minutes into the second half when D’Alessandro was sent through and neatly slotted the ball past advancing Eagles’ custodian Toby Lawson.

In the 53rd minute Tom D’Alia set up Sam Amair but his shot was superbly smothered by the impressive Lawson.

D’Alessandro broke clear a few minutes later only to lob the stranded Lawson and the crossbar. A fine solo run past three opponents by Falcons’ Jesse Kennedy enabled him to lay the ball off to

D’Alia in the 60th minute but his low strike from the edge of the area was wide of the far post.

Then came a frenzied minute in which two goals were scored.

In the 71st minute Jarryd Lymer who had gone forward for a set piece met the ball with blistering force sending a sizzling volley past Falcons’ keeper Adam Brooker.

Eagles’ fans were still celebrating when Conor Clarke restored Falcons’ lead when he broke into a one on one with Lawson and neatly stroked the ball past the helpless keeper.

Clarke is the son of Irish defender and former Morwell Falcons star Gerry Clarke and his well taken goal was the sealer.

The draw for the second round of the FFA Cup has resulted in a local derby on Saturday at Monterey Reserve between Frankston Pines and Seaford United at 3pm.

It’s a super Saturday of football at Centenary Park kicking off with a reserves clash at noon between Peninsula Strikers and Skye United followed by an FFA Cup double header with Skye clashing with Ballarat side Forest Rangers at 2pm and Strikers up against Brimbank Stallions at 4pm.

Rosebud Heart was drawn at home against Dandenong Warriors and was trying to arrange an 11am Sunday kick-off at Olympic Park in Besgrove Street, Rosebud as this story was published. Check out the club’s facebook page for confirmation.

Mornington, Langwarrin and Casey Comets enter the cup draw at round three stage with NPL clubs joining the competition during round four.